As Seen In
We've Assembled the Best Places to Visit in the USA This Summer. All You Have to Do Is Choose Your Destination.
Getting ready to plan your summer vacation? Step one is narrowing down your list of possible destinations. Taking this step can help you plan the trip of your dreams!
Whether you're looking to travel with your family, friends, or significant other, there are plenty of great spots in the United States that will provide memories that last a lifetime. Let's take a closer look.
- A partner when you need it. Contact us anytime and from anywhere. Our multilingual customer support team is on call 24/7 to answer your questions if an emergency arises.
- A plan to fit you. Choose from several different types of travel insurance with varying coverage levels and optional upgrades to create personalized coverage for your trip.
- Proof of coverage. Proof of coverage will be delivered to you immediately upon purchase. Easily access your insurance card and visa letter to prove you have coverage throughout your entire trip.
Best Places to Visit in Summer in USA
If you are looking for an ultra special vacation this summer, check out these great destinations in the USA. There are so many to choose from, as the U.S. is filled with cities, parks, beaches, and countryside that are worth a visit at least once in your life.
- Myrtle Beach (South Carolina) – Myrtle Beach is one of the top U.S. vacation spots for anyone who loves sand and sun. Pack up the kids and get ready to enjoy some amazing seafood after a day at the beach. There are numerous award-winning golf courses in the area if that's how you like to unwind.
- Grand Canyon National Park (Arizona) – Considered one of the best summer vacation spots in the world, this national park is on almost everyone's "must-see" list. Opt for a visit during the shoulder seasons of May/early June and September if you want to miss the crowds.
- Alaska – As far as the weather goes, Alaska is among the best places to visit in the summer. Fortunately, there's enough frontier that even if you visit during peak season, it doesn't take too long to get off the beaten path. Cruising is also an option.
- Pacific Northwest (Idaho, Oregon, and Washington) – If you aren't a fan of the heat, consider visiting the Pacific Northwest. Whether you want to check out Portland, the Oregon vineyards, Pike Place Market, or the San Juan Islands, you're sure to have an amazing time, as this area is considered one of the best U.S. vacations.
- Acadia National Park (Maine) – This is one of the best places to visit in summer in USA for those interested in seeing the natural beauty of the Atlantic coastline in person. Rent a bike and explore the island or get cozy in one of the charming rental cabins that are available.
Best Vacation Spots in the U.S. in Summer
Of course the list is subjective, but there are a few standouts when it comes to the best vacation spots in the U.S. during the summer months. Many people who have children choose to take their vacations in July when school is over and schedules are a bit less hectic.
Couples may want to get away during the shoulder seasons of June and September when there are fewer crowds (and children) at the top destinations. And friend groups often choose August for their vacations because there's always a lot going on!
Best Places to Visit in June USA
If you want to beat the crowds, June is a perfect time to travel (especially at the beginning of the month). These spots can help you unwind and recharge all while enjoying the thrills of a summer beach vacation.
- Malibu, California – June is a great time of year to visit the beaches of Malibu, located 30 miles west of downtown Los Angeles. If you want to soak up some culture during your visit, be sure to check out the fantastic Getty Museum.
- Galveston, Texas – Who doesn't love a down-home beach vacation? This is a great destination for families, couples, and friends. Be sure to check out the longstanding Shrimp 'N Stuff Downtown.
Best Vacation Spots in July USA
This group of vacation spots is often divided into two categories, with one including the places to visit in July that are not hot. These two spots are perfect for anyone looking for a fantastic summer vacation experience.
- Seward, Alaska – One of the great American road trips is in Alaska in the summer. Be sure to visit Resurrection Bay, a fjord on the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska where you will see whales, porpoises, and gorgeous glaciers. Don't forget to book a couple of nights in Denali. You'll be glad you did!
- Jersey Shore, New Jersey – This is the ultimate family vacation, especially if you have young children. For anyone who wants a taste of nostalgia, be sure to check out the boardwalks.
Best Places to Visit in August and September in USA
If you're looking for excitement and lots going on, August is a great time to get away from your routine. And, if you have the flexibility to travel in late August or September, it's an ideal time to beat the crowds.
- Yellowstone National Park (Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho) – Avoid the crowds and visit this national park in late August or September. With fewer crowds around, you're more likely to catch a glimpse of the majestic wildlife that call Yellowstone home. For a truly authentic Western experience, book a room at one of the park's lodges.
- Maine – With so much rugged coastline, it's not too difficult to find some space in this gorgeous state. Take the ferry to one of the over 4,600 islands for a coastal experience.
Best Couple Vacations in U.S.
There's something really special about getting away for a little bit with just your significant other. Couples’ vacations are the perfect opportunity to remember why you fell in love in the first place. These destinations fit almost every mood and are sure to appeal to a wide range of vacation preferences.
- Some of the best couple vacations in U.S. can be found a little bit off the beaten path. If you are looking for kitsch, take a look at the Mount Airy Lodge in the Poconos (located in northeastern Pennsylvania). With the cool nights, it's one of the best summer vacation spots for couples.
- If you are looking for some secluded romantic getaways in the USA, take a look at Northern New Mexico. Taos and Santa Fe offer many amazing hotels, restaurants, and world-class museums. All of this and more makes the area one of the best summer vacations for couples in the U.S.
- A trip to Saratoga Springs, a city in east-central New York, has got to be one of the best summer vacations for couples. Known for its mineral springs, shopping, and restaurants, this historic and cultural center is a bit like traveling back in time. Be sure to check out the Roosevelt Baths & Spa.
- Some of the best vacations for young couples are outdoorsy adventures. If you're looking for cheap summer vacations for couples, take a look at Vail, Colorado. This popular mountain getaway is one of the best places to visit in July in the USA for couples due to the mountain biking, hiking, and nightlife to be had.
- If you're looking for some great anniversary trips, you might want to check out the romantic city of Savannah, Georgia. This is one of the best places to visit in July for couples due to its fascinating history, charming boutique accommodations, candlelit restaurants, and delightful wineries. A sunset carriage ride is an absolute must!
Planning a honeymoon? Explore our top honeymoon destinations for any couple.
Best Family Vacation Spots
Sometimes it can be overwhelming to plan a family vacation. It may feel impossible to find a destination that will please everyone. If you're looking for a vacation that is sure to thrill everyone in the family, you've come to the right spot!
- Consider Grand Lake if you are looking for the best family vacation spots. Located near the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, there's plenty of boating, fishing, and hiking available to keep the whole family occupied. The Grand Lake Lodge should absolutely be on your list of best summer vacation spots for families.
- Another of the best summer vacations for families has got to be a trip to the Upper Keys of Florida. The Keys are one of the best vacation spots for large families as there are many sizable vacation homes available to rent. You can also opt for a full-service resort. You’ll find arts, culture, walking trails, eco-tours, and environmental centers galore.
- If you're still looking for family vacation ideas for summer 2023, take a look at a dude ranch. Dude ranches are perfect places to both reconnect with the kids and enjoy some special couple time too! Take a look at Paradise Ranch to learn more about this uniquely American vacation option.
- Looking for unique family vacations in the USA? One of the best summer vacations in the U.S. for families who want something a bit different is spending time on a working farm. Check out Blue Pepper Farm to get a better idea about this type of vacation.
- One of the best family vacation destinations in 2023 for those looking for family summer vacation ideas on a budget is Williamsburg, Virginia. This popular destination provides families a great opportunity to learn more about Colonial America.
Places to Go with Friends
Getting away with your favorite people can create memories that last a lifetime. These spots are the perfect places to vacation with your friend group.
- If you're looking for places to go with friends this summer season, take a look at Los Angeles, California. LA has something for everyone, from amazing bars and restaurants to some of the best beaches and shopping in the world.
- Looking to create a summer bucket list with friends? Why not consider renting an RV? You will have a lot of flexibility with your itinerary and plenty of time to bond out on the open road.
- New York City is one of the top places to go in the summer with friends. If the idea of spending the whole trip in the city during the summer doesn't appeal to you, it's an easy train ride out to the beach or upstate.
- Hang out by the pool for a couple of days in Palm Springs, California and then head out to Joshua Tree National Park for some hiking and amateur photography of this park’s other-worldly landscapes.
- The Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri is the Midwest’s premier spot to unwind with your friend group! Rent a houseboat or stay at one of the charming inns that are sprinkled throughout the area.
If you’re looking for even more vacation ideas for a friends’ trip, check out list of the best places to travel with friends.
Luxury Summer Vacation Ideas
We can all use a little bit of pampering these days. Having some free time over the summer provides the perfect opportunity to escape to luxury. These properties are really something special!
- Big Sur, California – Big Sur is an absolute gem of a destination. A stay at the amazing Ventana makes your visit even more magical. From luxury suites to luxury glamping, there's something for everyone (including an out-of-this-world full-service spa).
- Vermejo, New Mexico – Part of the Ted Turner Reserves collection, this picturesque ranch property brings a whole new meaning to the word “pampered.” “With snowcapped alpine tundra, 19 fishable lakes, and over 550,000 stunning acres of picturesque lands, Vermejo is the jewel of northern New Mexico. Enjoy a host of outdoor activities on 550,000 acres of land (with 19 fishable lakes) as well as gourmet food and wine during your stay.
- Newport, Rhode Island – There's no lack of luxury summer vacation ideas in the U.S. If you're looking for old-world glamour, you can't go wrong with a trip to Newport, Rhode Island. Stroll through museums and wineries, take a cliff walk or trolley tour, or visit the beach.
Wherever you end up this summer, we hope that you enjoy safe travels and create memories that will last a lifetime!
Let's Prepare For The Unexpected With Travel Insurance
Quotes are free. Start yours now.
Select which option best describes you to start your quote.
WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.
WorldTrips’ Atlas Travel Series and StudentSecure international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.
WorldTrips' Atlas Journey, Atlas Cruiser, and Atlas On-The-Go trip protection insurance products are underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC's U.S. Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC). USSIC is a Texas-domiciled insurance company operating on an admitted basis throughout the United States. Coverage is available to U.S. residents of the U.S. states and District of Columbia only. This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. Coverage may not be available in all states.
In the State of California, operating as WorldTrips Insurance Services. California Non- Resident Producer License Number: 0G39705