As Seen In
Here Is Where You Should Go for Fall Break This Year
As summer nears its end and the weather starts getting cooler, fall travel plans are something to look forward to. There are tons of places to see that are breathtaking during the fall. Now’s the time to think about where to travel with the kids, with friends, with a partner, or by yourself come late September.
There's a World of Trips Out There. Bring Us With You. Let's Go.
Travel can represent financial risk. No matter your destination, there’s always a chance you could face an unanticipated cancellation, interruption, mishap, or emergency.
WorldTrips offers travel insurance and travel assistance services to guide you through the unexpected and help ease your stress. We enable travelers to explore the world with confidence.
- A partner when you need it. Contact us anytime and from anywhere. Our multilingual customer support team is on call 24/7 to answer your questions if an emergency arises.
- A plan to fit you. Choose from several different types of travel insurance with varying coverage levels and optional upgrades to create personalized coverage for your trip.
- Proof of coverage. Proof of coverage will be delivered to you immediately upon purchase. Easily access your insurance card and visa letter to prove you have coverage throughout your entire trip.
Fall Break Ideas
So, you’ve been googling “fall vacation ideas 2023.” But there’s so much information available. Where do you even start? Well, let’s consider what kind of trip you want to take.
Are you looking to plan a family vacation for the kids’ fall break 2023 calendar? Do you need a relaxing week away from work or school that will truly allow you to “log off”? What if you just have the weekend to travel, but still want to discover some beautiful places to visit in the fall? What if you don’t really know what kind of vacation you want, and you just need some fall break ideas to get you started?
Whether your fall break vacation ideas for 2023 involve domestic or international plans, there is an amazing fall landscape waiting for you.
Fall Break Ideas 2023
Deciding on a destination early means you can take your time planning things to do for fall break 2023. When coming up with fall break vacation ideas, there are quite a few destinations that stand out as must-visit places.
Here are some fall break ideas for 2023:
- Kauai, Hawaii, U.S. – This Hawaiian Island is breathtaking all year, but there’s just something about the fall that draws you in. The rainy season starts in November, so getting there in late September or October would be perfect timing.
- Zion National Park, Utah, U.S. – When temperatures start to drop, adventurers find that they can hike, bike, and sightsee without getting too hot or too cold. The cottonwoods will be in full bloom in this national park, ready to become a picturesque backdrop. Experience panoramic views, walking trails, and a lot of fun during one of the best fall vacations for families. What more can you ask for?
- Charleston, South Carolina, U.S. – Fall will be in full swing soon enough in Charleston! Take a walk down the path of history in The Battery or enjoy yourself at Folly Beach. There are a lot of festivals during this time, so there’s always something to do.
- Montreal, Canada – It’s just starting to get cool during this time of year, but there are tons of autumn festivals to usher in the weather, like the Gardens of Light or Quinn’s Farm Fall Festival. You can also go hiking on Mount Royal or take in the sights.
- Big Sur, California, U.S. – California is always a draw, but things get even more beautiful during the fall months. Blue whales, orcas, and humpbacks come out to play while monarch butterflies return to the area for the winter months.
- Victoria and Vancouver Island, Canada – There are many beautiful sights to see against the backdrop of fall. Visit the Craigdarroch Castle, Sea Cider Farm, and more while taking in all the fresh air.
- Napa Valley, California, U.S. – This area is beautiful come autumn time! What better way to spend a vacation with friends than by experimenting with new foods while tasting and creating your own wine in the middle of beautiful wine country?
- Asheville, North Carolina, U.S. – The Appalachian Trail and Blue Ridge Parkway are gorgeous during this time of year. Enjoy craft bear and sightseeing throughout this city located in western North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Yellowstone Park, U.S. – You’ll discover a picture-perfect experience when fall arrives at Yellowstone National Park. Located mostly in Wyoming, but extending into parts of Montana and Idaho, Yellowstone offers 3,500 square miles of wilderness recreation, including canyons, rivers, forests, geysers, and hot springs.
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming, U.S. – Enjoy Jackson Hole’s Grand Teton Music Festival and arts festivals, visit the Granite Hot Springs, and go hiking in the mountains. You’ll be glad you did.
Fall Break Ideas for Families
Looking for fall break ideas for families? Consider these questions first to help you narrow down your fall break destinations for families list. What kinds of activities does the family enjoy doing? How do you want to travel? How long of a trip do you want to take?
While there are many places to go for fall break with family, keeping in line with the family’s consensus is key. Consider options like national parks and some of the best family resorts for fall.
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Niagara Falls (U.S. or Canada) – This budget-conscious trip is one for the memory books. Depending on where you live, you may be able to pack everyone up and take a drive to these breathtaking waterfalls.
- Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S. – There is plenty for a family to do in Las Vegas. Red Rock Canyon, the Shark Reef Aquarium, and the Wildlife Habitat are all great places to start.
- Anaheim, California, U.S. – Home to Disneyland, which is dubbed the “Happiest Place on Earth,” Anaheim offers many family-friendly things to do while visiting. There are cost-conscious hotels and other activities, parks, and fun for the entire family.
Relaxing Fall Vacations
When you’re looking to unwind and take time off from stress, it’s time to consider some relaxing fall vacations. Here are a few places to check out:
- Crested Butte, Colorado, U.S. – Located in the heart of the Rockies, this isolated town has all the amenities of the big cities in Colorado but with a calm atmosphere for rest and relaxation. It is also home to Kebler Pass, the state’s largest aspen grove and what some scientists refer to as “the world’s largest living organism.”
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts, U.S. – After the summer rush, the fall is peaceful and serene in Cape Cod. You’ll have time to explore all the lighthouses and trails, sit by the water, and enjoy nature at its best.
- Rio Celeste Falls, Costa Rica – Relax next to the beautiful waterfall in Tenorio Volcano National Park that boasts a vivid blue color. It’s a true “see it to believe it” moment. When all you want to do is nothing, this is a magical place to do just that.
- Nordfjord, Norway – This is one of the top destinations in the country, and with good reason due to its breathtaking views and serenity. You’ll experience the magic of glaciers, the rolling sea, and lots of mountains to keep you grounded in nature.
- Blue Lagoon, Iceland – One of the wonders of the world, Blue Lagoon is a geothermal spa that is home to 2 million gallons of natural hot water. Full of intrigue, even when it’s cold outside, the water is warm enough to take a dip and relax. When you feel like you need a cleanse and want to bond with the Earth, this is one of those vacations that can do just that.
Discover 5 reasons to add Iceland to your travel bucket list!
Best Fall Weekend Getaways
When your fall break plans only allow for a weekend away, there’s nothing better than a short 3-day family vacation, friend trip, or solo getaway. Here are a few fun things to do for fall break to create the best fall weekend getaways plans:
- Gulf Shores, Alabama, U.S. – When you’re looking for that quick pick-me-up trip during the fall, Gulf Shores should be on the list. The water is still warm and most of the tourists have gone home.
- Playa del Carmen, Mexico – Hop a plane and head on over to Mexico for a quick long weekend getaway. Beautiful beaches and hotels that won’t break the budget are in order. Fall brings cheaper rates and you’ll be able to relax, unwind, and then get back to life.
- Nashville, Tennessee, U.S. – Live music with friends, local sights, and lots of fun is what you’ll get when you visit this music hub. Take some time to visit the Grand Ole Opry and Country Music Hall of Fame while you’re there. Oh – and don’t forget the food. Favorite side dishes of Nashville include macaroni and cheese, baked beans, collard greens, potato salad, and fried green tomatoes.
- Antigua – What’s better than a beautiful island trip in the fall? Antigua is a tropical island in the Caribbean that offers breathtaking views, good deals on hotels and flights, and foodie favorites like jerk chicken and tamarind balls. All-inclusive properties that make you wonder why you don’t just pack up and move there may be just the thing you need to recharge your batteries.
- Washington, D.C., U.S. – This U.S. capital city is one of those picture-worthy cities to enjoy in the fall when the leaves on the trees begin to change colors. There is so much to do here – from going to check out the food spots to taking a few tours of the landmarks to browsing through one of the many Smithsonian museums. You won’t get bored in this city.
Be Sure to Explore These Related Resources:
Quotes are free. Start yours now.
Select which option best describes you to start your quote:
WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.
WorldTrips’ Atlas Travel Series and StudentSecure international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.
WorldTrips' Atlas Journey, Atlas Cruiser, and Atlas On-The-Go trip protection insurance products are underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC's U.S. Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC). USSIC is a Texas-domiciled insurance company operating on an admitted basis throughout the United States. Coverage is available to U.S. residents of the U.S. states and District of Columbia only. This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. Coverage may not be available in all states.
In the State of California, operating as WorldTrips Insurance Services. California Non- Resident Producer License Number: 0G39705