As Seen In
Here’s Everything You Need to Know About Planning a European Honeymoon
Going on a honeymoon trip to Europe? Knowing the basics (and more) of what to expect can help you in planning the perfect vacation to celebrate your marriage. We’re going to cover the top destinations to add to your trip, all-inclusive packages to consider, and a cost breakdown to make sure you have a honeymoon you’ll never forget.
- A partner when you need it. Contact us anytime and from anywhere. Our multilingual customer support team is on call 24/7 to answer your questions if an emergency arises.
- A plan to fit you. Choose from several different types of travel insurance with varying coverage levels and optional upgrades to create personalized coverage for your trip.
- Proof of coverage. Proof of coverage will be delivered to you immediately upon purchase. Easily access your insurance card and visa letter to prove you have coverage throughout your entire trip.
Honeymoon Trip to Europe
Envision taking your honeymoon trip to Europe and visiting all the places you’ve dreamed about. Or maybe you want to pick just one place to relax and take in all the sights. There’s no limit to what you can do in Europe, so we’ve broken down the best tips and ideas.
Here’s what we’ll cover on this page:
- Best honeymoon destinations in Europe
- Europe honeymoon itinerary
- Honeymoon in Europe costs
- Honeymoon in Europe packages
Europe Honeymoon Destinations
You've decided that Europe is the place to be for you and your partner. Now comes deciding which country (or countries) and cities to visit. It’s important to have an idea of what kind of honeymoon you want—and your budget.
Western Europe is home to many popular honeymoon destinations including luxury honeymoon destinations like Paris and Monaco. An Eastern Europe honeymoon could mean staying in more unique honeymoon destinations in Europe with accommodations that are likely more affordable.
Both regions of Europe offer a plethora of opportunities for honeymooners with any budget.
So, what are the best destinations?
- Florence, Italy – The art, the charm, and the beautiful sunsets make this a first-class destination for many honeymooners.
- Amsterdam, The Netherlands – This romantic city of 150 connecting canals makes it the perfect backdrop for any honeymoon. It’s also an ideal location for LGBTQ+ travelers, as it was the first country to legalize same-sex marriage back in 2000.
- Santorini, Greece – Greece is one of the most popular newlywed destinations in the world. You can swim in the Aegean Sea, dine on amazing food, and explore the city and its iconic whitewashed buildings.
- Mykonos, Greece – Beaches, food, great parties, and stunning scenery make this a beautiful destination for newlyweds. Check out Little Venice on the western end for lots of clubs and other fun things to do.
- Madeira, Portugal – If you’re into places that are breathtakingly beautiful, Madeira checks all the boxes. From hiking to toboggan adventures, this is the place where adventurous honeymooners go to live their dreams.
- Black Forest, Germany – For a picturesque and fairytale-like honeymoon, check out Black Forest. Many believe the Brothers Grimm fairytales were inspired by this forest. You can explore many quaint villages in the area like Schiltach, Calw, Gengenbach, and Breisach or the spa town of Baden-Baden.
- Budapest, Hungary – Don’t overlook this more affordable European honeymoon city. Check out incredible views of the Parliament at night and visit one of the budget-friendly spas located around the city.
- Paris, France – The City of Light brings nothing but smiles to honeymooners with café visits, strolls along the Seine, visits to the Eiffel Tower, and more. Looking for a luxury hotel? You’ll find plenty in Paris.
You can also check out our list of the top honeymoon destinations of the year for more ideas.
Europe Honeymoon Itinerary
A Europe honeymoon itinerary is a great way to ensure you hit all the tourist attractions and activities you want during your honeymoon. There are tons of places you can visit, so get organized and decide on your length of stay, the activities you like to do, the things you want to see, and more.
Planning the best Europe honeymoon itinerary means taking the time to research what people enjoy doing in your destination and seeing which Europe honeymoon ideas appeal to you most.
Here are some popular attractions recommended by TripAdvisor to consider adding to your European honeymoon itinerary:
- Rijksmuseum (The Netherlands)
- Basílica de la Sagrada Familia (Spain)
- St. Peter’s Basilica (Vatican City)
- Dolmabahce Palace (Turkey)
- Prague Zoo (Czechnia)
- Reichstag Building (Germany)
- Oceanário de Lisboa (Portugal)
- Prado National Museum (Spain)
- Arthur’s Seat (Scotland)
- Kraków’s Rynek Glowny Central Square (Poland)
- Acropolis of Athens (Greece)
- Napoli Sotterranea (Italy)
- Volcan El Teide (Spain)
- Cologne Cathedral (Germany)
- Anne Frank House (The Netherlands)
- Anitkabir (Turkey)
- Churchill War Rooms (United Kingdom)
- Kleopatra Beach (Turkey)
- Kato Paphos Archaeological Park (Cyprus)
- Tallinn Old Town (Estonia)
- Pico do Arieiro (Portugal)
- Petite-France (France)
See our step-by-step guide to building a personalized travel itinerary. Interested in honeymooning abroad in the Nordic countries? Feel free to borrow our Nordic travel itinerary for traveling through Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland in two weeks.
Honeymoon in Europe Cost
One of the most important considerations when planning a honeymoon in Europe is the cost to travel, stay, and have fun. Prices vary depending on when and where you go. According to Brides.com, a European honeymoon can cost anywhere from $6,000 to $25,000 depending on your budget and travel style. More high-end, luxury trips can be as much as $35,000!
If you’re working with a smaller budget, it’s still possible to plan a fun European vacation. One way to stay within budget is to look for cheap honeymoon destinations in Europe. Consider these cities:
- Kraków, Poland
- Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Marche, Italy
- Crete, Greece
- Lake Bled, Slovenia
- Porto, Portugal
- Lake Iseo, Italy
Check out this blog we wrote for Goats on the Road to help you navigate Kraków on a budget!
There are other ways couples can stick to their budget when planning a honeymoon. Here are four money-saving tips for European honeymoon travel:
- Book early. As soon as you set the dates for your honeymoon, book it (even if it’s a year away). Flights and hotels are typically more affordable when you aren’t booking them last minute.
- Consider a vacation rental. This works well, especially if you are going to be there for an extended period of time and hope to do some at-home meals. Living on the beach or a Greek Island sounds way better than a high-rise hotel, right?
- Consider going in the off-season. June through August is very busy for European vacations. Then there’s Christmas and New Year’s. If you can schedule your vacation in the fall or spring, the likelihood of you getting what you want at affordable rates is much higher.
- Let your budget guide the planning process. Write down all the places in Europe you’re considering and start tracking deals on different sites. This is when booking early can come in handy. Use sites like Skyscanner and Kayak to compare prices and keep an eye out for other ticket deals.
Check out our top tips for planning a honeymoon on a budget!
Europe Honeymoon Packages
One of the most important things to consider when planning a honeymoon trip to Europe is how to cut costs and still have an amazing time. There are tons of Europe honeymoon packages on the market that make it easy and cater to all budgets. Multi-city vacation packages are popular, especially for travelers that have never been to Europe.
These are some of the best Europe honeymoon packages out there, including luxury honeymoon packages Europe travelers will enjoy, all-inclusive honeymoon packages under $5,000, all-inclusive honeymoon packages Europe travel groups advertise, multi-city European honeymoon packages, and European vacation packages all-inclusive for the newlyweds that want everything in one place.
- France – Enjoy a luxurious stay at the Hotel Plaza Athenee with its Romantic Offer package, which includes time at the spa.
- Greece – Stay at Carpe Diem in Santorini where you’ll be able to take in beautiful sunsets how you want with a private plunge pool. With breakfast and fantastic food all day, you may never want to leave.
- Iceland – Iceland’s honeymoon packages may take you off the beaten path, but they are divine with in-water massages, relaxation in the Blue Lagoon, and more.
- Amalfi Coast – When you’re looking for a trip that won’t break the bank, try Hotel Pellegrino on the Amalfi Coast where you’ll immerse yourself in a family-like atmosphere with amazing views and food.
- Monaco – When it comes to luxury, one of the best places in Europe is Monaco on the French Riviera. Hobnob with royalty and dignitaries and enjoy the finer things in life as you explore this city.
- Croatia – When you’re looking to relax and have incredible cuisine, beautiful beaches, amazing photo opportunities, and gorgeous sightseeing, Croatia is the place. Exotic waterfalls, museums, beautiful hotels, and more await when you visit.
Chart your honeymoon course anywhere in Europe. You really can’t go wrong!
Be Sure to Explore These Related Resources:
Let's Prepare For The Unexpected With Travel Insurance
Quotes are free. Start yours now.
Select which option best describes you to start your quote.
WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.
WorldTrips’ Atlas Travel Series and StudentSecure international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.
WorldTrips' Atlas Journey, Atlas Cruiser, and Atlas On-The-Go trip protection insurance products are underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC's U.S. Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC). USSIC is a Texas-domiciled insurance company operating on an admitted basis throughout the United States. Coverage is available to U.S. residents of the U.S. states and District of Columbia only. This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. Coverage may not be available in all states.
In the State of California, operating as WorldTrips Insurance Services. California Non- Resident Producer License Number: 0G39705