Planning to participate in a work or study-based exchange program in the United States? You’re likely aware that the U.S. government requires most international visitors to possess a visa in order to enter the country.

But if you’re applying for a J-1 visa, you’ll need more than just the standard visa requirements, like a birth certificate and valid passport. You’ll also need proof of travel medical insurance that meets J-1 visa requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State.

What Is a J-1 Visa?

A J-1 visa is a short-term, non-immigrant visa issued to international visitors by the United States. The visa allows approved individuals to enroll in work-and-study-based exchange programs in order to teach, study, conduct research, or receive on-site job training in the USA.

asian-young-women-passenger-walk-in-airport-terminal-to-boarding (1)

J-1 Visa Programs Include:

  • Au pair
  • Camp counselor
  • College or university student
  • Government visitor
  • Intern
  • International visitor
  • Physician
  • Professor and research scholar
  • Secondary school student
  • Short-term scholar
  • Specialist
  • Summer work travel
  • Teacher
  • Trainee

How Do You Appy for a J-1 Visa?

To apply for your J-1 visa, you’ll need to follow these steps:

  1. Choose the program that best applies to you and use the U.S. Department of State's Designated Sponsor List to find a certified sponsor. Your sponsor will be your main point of contact throughout the length of your program as well as the facilitator of your J-1 visa application process.
  2. Through your certified sponsor, acquire and complete the Form DS-2019.
  3. Apply for your J-1 visa at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.
  4. Prepare for and complete your visa interview.
  5. Obtain travel medical insurance that meets all J-1 visa requirements.

What Are Your J-1 Visa Insurance Options?

The type of program you are enrolled in will help you determine which travel medical insurance plan is right for you. For the J-1 visa applicant, WorldTrips offers two travel medical plans with varying levels of coverage – both of which meet J-1 visa requirements:

Upon your purchase of an Atlas Travel or StudentSecure plan, WorldTrips will send you a visa letter to serve as proof of insurance.

How Atlas Travel and StudentSecure Meets J-1 Visa Insurance Requirements

Explore J-1 visa insurance requirements and learn how the two plans compare below:

J-1 Visa Insurance Requirements

Atlas Travel


Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness

Up to $2,000,000 in maximum coverage for those under age 65 Coverage options begin at $100,000 per accident/illness and go up to $500,000

Repatriation of remains in the amount of at least $25,000

Coverage is equal to the overall maximum limit Plans cover repatriation of remains from $25,000 to $50,000

Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of at least $50,000

$1,000,000 lifetime maximum for emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. Costs for air or ground transportation ticket home are also provided for eligible injuries/illnesses. Plans offer coverage from $50,000 up to $500,000 for emergency medical evacuation to the nearest appropriate facility. Costs for air or ground transportation ticket home are also provided for eligible injuries/illnesses.

A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness

Deductible options start at $0 $0 deductible for all plans



WorldTrips international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.