As Seen In
Discover the Perks of Solo Female Travel
More and more women are looking into their travel options as solo female travel continues to grow in popularity. Many women prefer to travel alone and see the sights without distraction or having to worry about juggling everyone else's preferences and desires. If you are considering traveling alone, keep reading to discover popular trip options for solo female travelers and other helpful tips!
- A partner when you need it. Contact us anytime and from anywhere. Our multilingual customer support team is on call 24/7 to answer your questions if an emergency arises.
- A plan to fit you. Choose from several different types of travel insurance with varying coverage levels and optional upgrades to create personalized coverage for your trip.
- Proof of coverage. Proof of coverage will be delivered to you immediately upon purchase. Easily access your insurance card and visa letter to prove you have coverage throughout your entire trip.
Solo Female Travel
Women of all ages are taking to the skies, rails, and roads on their own across the globe. For many, it's a matter of logistics when their travel schedules don't sync up with those of their families and friends. For others, they finally have the chance to fulfill lifelong travel dreams and no longer want to have to wait to start exploring. No matter the age, solo travel is appealing to many women who want to get out there and see the world.
Travel is a dream many people share, but restricted schedules and limited travel windows due to work and family commitments can make group travel difficult. And for some travelers, going on a trip alone is the whole point!
Whatever the reason for your solo trip, there are many benefits to exploring the world on your own. If you are interested in learning more about solo female travel, you have come to the right place. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at some of the great options that are available to solo female travelers, both in the United States and abroad.
Solo Female Travel Tips
Is it safe to travel alone as a woman? The answer is yes—as long as you take the proper safety precautions. A little experience and a lot of planning can go a long way, but if you’re traveling alone for the first time, you may still be a bit nervous. Just like many other solo activities, it's normal to feel a little anxious until you find your footing.
While there is no best age to solo travel, inexperienced travelers will want to pay close attention to these helpful solo female travel tips:
- Plan ahead. Having a flexible travel itinerary can bring many joyful surprises, but having at least your first night thoroughly planned out can start your trip off on the right foot.
- Research the area you’re visiting beforehand. Use websites like Trip Advisor to learn about popular scams within your destination country, areas to avoid, and how the healthcare system works for travelers. Also research appropriate clothing for women to ensure you adhere to your destination’s culture.
- Consider purchasing travel medical insurance if you’re traveling abroad. Travel medical insurance is designed to help cover expenses resulting from unexpected travel mishaps and emergencies, such as a travel delay or interruption or a sudden illness or injury. Some countries and visas require insurance.
Additionally, many primary health insurance plans provide limited or no coverage outside of the traveler’s home country, so obtaining travel medical insurance can be an important step in the travel planning process. Learn more about why you may need travel medical insurance.
- Let others know where you are going. Be sure to check in with friends or family back home and share your travel details, such as accommodations, side trips, and train and flight bookings. Establish a plan regarding how often they should expect to hear from you.
- Play it safe. Don't feel like you need to answer every question asked of you by the people you meet; being vague is more than acceptable when locals and fellow travelers ask about where you're staying or your specific plans for the day.
- Trust your instincts. If something doesn't feel right, don't hesitate to change your plans. And remember—never risk your safety due to a fear of being seen as impolite.
- Don’t flaunt your valuables. Leave expensive jewelry and other valuables at home to reduce the risk of becoming a target for a pickpocket.
- Stay aware of your surroundings. Avoid wearing headphones while exploring new cities and stay alert and aware at all times. Avoid drinking too much, as this could impair your judgment and put you in danger.
Ready to dig deeper? Take a look at these 50+ tips for solo female travelers from women who have some great experience with traveling alone.
Solo Female Travel Essentials
Creating a packing list is an effective way to organize your belongings and make sure you have what you need before you even leave home. These are a few examples of packing lists for a variety of different needs:
Solo Female Travel Essentials:
- Feminine hygiene products, if necessary
- Any medication for the duration of your trip, including birth control (it’s always smart to pack extra medication in case you end up stuck in your destination for longer than planned)
- Several cloths masks and travel-size hand sanitizer
- Necessary toiletries with refillable travel-size bottles
- Sunglasses, eyeglasses, extra contacts, & contact solution if necessary
- First aid kit
- A personal safety alarm and mace (if legal in your destination country)
- A lock for lockers, doors, and other belongings
- Guidebooks and maps or travel apps
- Travel journal
Here are some more great packing list ideas!
Essential Things to Pack for Traveling:
- Appropriate attire for your destination(s)
- Comfortable footwear
- Hard copy of your itinerary and important numbers and addresses
- Contact sheet with contact details of friends and family
Don't forget these essentials too!
Gadgets for Solo Travelers:
- Any adapters necessary for foreign travel
- Smartphone or camera
- E-reader or tablet
- Currency converter app
- Google translate or another communication app
- GPS app
Afraid you may be leaving behind something you're going to need? This comprehensive packing list should have you covered!
Minimalist Packing List for Females:
- Clothes that do double duty/easy to mix and match
- A sarong that can be used as a beach towel
- Currency belt roomy enough for all travel documents
- Guidebook app
- One piece of luggage that is carry-on size
And, any complete packing list isn't complete without these need-to-have items!
Long-Term Travel Packing List Female Edition:
- Travel electronics including chargers and adapters
- Options for local SIM card
- Social media group membership for the local area
- Language learning app and translation app
Going away for a while? Be sure to check out this fantastic packing list before you hit the road.
Solo Beach Trip Packing List for Women:
- Paperbacks or e-reader
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Cover-ups and/or sarongs
- Beach hat and sunglasses
- Swimsuits and sandals
- Casual dinner/evening outfits or dresses
Here are some more great packing list ideas for your beach vacation!
Best Places for Solo Female Travel 2022
Wondering what the best places for solo female travel in 2022 might be? Everyone's tastes are different, of course, but these top four destinations are a great place to start. If you're looking for some of the best places to travel alone as a female, take a closer look at these top solo female travel destinations:
- New York City – Who can resist a trip to the Big Apple? A perennial favorite of tourists of all types, NYC is a perfect destination for women traveling on their own. Whether you want to check out a Broadway play, visit the Statue of Liberty, or just kick around Soho, there's something for everyone in New York, New York.
- Vietnam – If you are looking for an extended trip spent exploring a beautiful country, check out Vietnam. This welcoming nation is a favorite of many women traveling alone due to its safety and positive attitude toward solo travel.
- Lake Tahoe – Lake Tahoe sits on the border between California and Nevada in the U.S. It’s a favorite ski destination in the winter and a hiker's and boater's paradise in summer. Be sure to check out one of the region's most scenic drives to soak up all the beauty.
- Paris – Who doesn't love Paris, France? The City of Light is an ideal destination for solo women travelers as there is so much to do and see. For those looking for a memorable day trip, don’t forget to explore Monet's garden at Giverny.
Solo Female Travel USA
Due to international travel restrictions, you may be looking to stay closer to home for a little while longer. Right now, solo female travel in the USA is better than ever. Some of the best places to travel alone in the U.S. are ready and waiting for you.
Because the U.S. is so expansive, it's possible to experience something fresh and new on every trip without leaving the country. See if any of these solo vacation USA destinations are exciting for you:
- Boston, Massachusetts – Not just for historians, Boston is a great place to visit due to its small size, walkability, mouthwatering seafood, and amazing museums.
- Yosemite National Park – If you haven't checked out this amazing area of the American West, it's time to get packing. Even if you're not a nature enthusiast, you will love a visit to California’s Yosemite. There are over 750 miles of trails to explore, as well as rock climbing, horseback riding, water activities, and more.
- Charleston, South Carolina – Calling all foodies! This coastal city has something for everyone, especially foodies. It's also a destination for historians and architectural fans.
Solo Female Travel Europe
There has always been a high interest in solo female travel in Europe, and there is a rising interest in solo travel in Eastern Europe. If you want to learn more about the best European cities for solo female travel and tourism, the list below is a great place to start!
Here are some of the most interesting and safest cities in Europe to travel alone to in 2022:
- Edinburgh, Scotland – The stunning natural beauty that surrounds the Scottish capital is just the beginning. Edinburgh is quite cosmopolitan, and it is full of amazing restaurants, charming inns, and world-class museums and galleries. Oh, and there's a pretty amazing castle there, too!
- Oslo, Norway – Oslo blends historic charm with modern architecture. The city’s delicious Nordic cuisine and friendliness toward tourists make it an ideal solo travel stop. And a visit during the Summer Solstice season to see the midnight sun should be on your bucket list.
- Dubrovnik, Croatia – One of the hottest tourist destinations in Europe is Dubrovnik, and it's easy to see why. Walk the Old Town walls, visit Fort Lovrijenac, and take in stunning views of the Adriatic Sea. If you’re a Game of Thrones fan, you’ll be able to recognize multiple shooting locations from the show.
- Tallinn, Estonia – Located in northeastern Europe along the Baltic Sea, this small, charming country will draw you in with its unique blend of Eastern and Nordic cultures. Be sure to visit Tallinn, a medieval city straight out of a fairytale. Plus, you can easily travel Estonia on a budget.
Ready to book your Europe trip? Read our “Ultimate European Travel Guide.
Solo Female Travel Groups
Perhaps you're not quite ready to travel all alone; if that's the case, a solo female travel group may be the answer. If you want to find other women traveling together, these companies are a great place to start.
- Serendipity Travel – This is the perfect travel group company for women who are looking to soak up some local culture on their journeys. The itineraries vary from arts and culture tours to group dinners planned to help you gain insight into the local cuisine. Destinations include full-service tours to Turkey and guided visits to the Chelsea Flower Show and a variety of English gardens.
- The Women's Travel Group – This travel group has been around for nearly 30 years, and it shows. Give it a try if you’re interested in a visit to Egypt or an adventure tour of Patagonia and Easter Island.
- Women's Travel Club – WTC is a great way to explore the world without having to pay a premium as a solo traveler. If you want to get away to New Orleans, or you wish to travel further afield to Bali, this is the company to check out!
We hope that this article has gotten you thinking about your next solo trip. Whatever the destination, there's nothing quite like travel to make one feel alive.
Be Sure to Explore These Related Resources:
- The Best Travel Destinations for Any Kind of Traveler
- 21 Tips for Staying Safe While Traveling
- 11-Step Planning Guide to Traveling Internationally
- What Is a Hostel and What Do I Need to Know Before Staying at One?
- Tips for Traveling Without Knowing the Language
- 35 Least-Photographed Places in the World Your Need to See
- Is Travel Insurance Really Worth It?
- Should I Get Travel Health Insurance for My Trip Abroad?
Ready to Buy? Start Your Custom Travel Insurance Quote Below.
WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.
WorldTrips’ Atlas Travel Series and StudentSecure international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.
WorldTrips' Atlas Journey, Atlas Cruiser, and Atlas On-The-Go trip protection insurance products are underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC's U.S. Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC). USSIC is a Texas-domiciled insurance company operating on an admitted basis throughout the United States. Coverage is available to U.S. residents of the U.S. states and District of Columbia only. This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. Coverage may not be available in all states.
In the State of California, operating as WorldTrips Insurance Services. California Non- Resident Producer License Number: 0G39705