As Seen In
Study, Volunteer, Work, or Explore with a Travel Abroad Program
Planning an extended trip abroad can be made easier with a travel abroad program that takes care of all the details. There are some wonderful travel abroad programs that are geared toward high school students, college students, and even adults. Below, we’ll explore travel and study abroad organizations and various program options to consider as well as pointers on how to get started.
- A partner when you need it. Contact us anytime and from anywhere. Our multilingual customer support team is on call 24/7 to answer your questions if an emergency arises.
- A plan to fit you. Choose from several different types of travel insurance with varying coverage levels and optional upgrades to create personalized coverage for your trip.
- Proof of coverage. Proof of coverage will be delivered to you immediately upon purchase. Easily access your insurance card and visa letter to prove you have coverage throughout your entire trip.
Travel Abroad Programs
Have you ever dreamed of traveling the world for an extended period, but just didn't know where to start? Joining a travel abroad program can help take some of the guesswork out of planning your adventure.
These companies provide aspiring travelers with the framework necessary to enjoy a productive and rewarding study, work, or volunteer experience abroad, no matter your age or where you are on your educational journey.
Whether you’re in high school, college, or you have already joined the workforce, there's likely a program out there that meets your travel abroad needs. Choose from a number of different travel abroad programs or explore the best study abroad companies, each catering to different demographics and desired outcomes.
- Travel Abroad Programs for High School Students
- Travel Abroad Programs for College Students
- Travel Abroad Programs for Adults
Travel Abroad Programs for High School Students
If you’re looking for a study abroad program as a high school student, there are many different options. Study abroad high school programs vary by location and focus, and they all provide rewarding experiences.
If you aren’t ready to take a full year abroad, there are numerous fantastic summer travel programs to consider too. Some of the best study abroad programs for high school students are more affordable than you might think due to numerous grant and scholarship opportunities available for qualifying students.
High School Study Abroad Programs
Spending any amount of high school abroad can help students become much more engaged with the world around them. It can help you prepare for college by helping you adapt to different teaching styles, by supplementing your language skills, and by enhancing your college application.
Start early when it comes to researching travel abroad programs for high school students. The logistics, like getting a visa and applying for a passport, can take months to complete.
Now let’s look at some of the most popular high school study abroad options:
- CIEE – Whether you’re looking for a semester abroad or a full-year program, CIEE offers 14 exciting destinations for high school study abroad in destinations like Denmark, Japan, and the UK. Fees can range between $17,750 (Denmark) and $30,000 (UK).
- Go Abroad – This is a wonderful resource that provides prospective overseas students with a wide range of school and program options. Browse through a list of the top programs or filter results by country, focus, and duration.
- Seville Abroad – This program provides students with the opportunity to attend either public or private school in Spain. Fees range from $17,000 to $27,000 depending on the program.
Summer Teen Travel Programs
Summer abroad programs for high school students are another option for teens looking to travel during summer break. These programs offer a bit more flexibility, and many provide enriching volunteer opportunities.
In fact, volunteer abroad programs for high school students are becoming more and more popular as high schoolers strive to stand out from their peers on college applications.
Here are three programs to consider:
- Apogee Adventures Teen Summer Travel – This program offers summer travel options with destinations in Europe, Costa Rica, and the Caribbean. There is a lot of focus on activities such as hiking, photography, and writing as well as a community-building component to the trips.
- Spanish Camp in Costa Rica – This program for students between 13 and 17 years of age is fully immersive. Students learn Spanish while also participating in community service, sports, cultural activities, and tourism. The program offers 1-to-3-week trip options with fees ranging between $1,500 and $1,700 depending on location.
- Joseph’s Dream Appaloosas Namibia – Horse lovers should check out these volunteer opportunities in the African bush. You can learn the basics of horsemanship and assist with training and backpacking horses. This program is open to all ages and fees range from $300 - $600 per week (excluding travel expenses).
Grant and Scholarship Opportunities for High School Students
If money is a concern when it comes to traveling abroad to study, volunteer, or explore, consider high school study abroad organizations that offer scholarship and grant opportunities. Study abroad may be more in reach than you thought!
- GoOverseas – Browse this program’s list of high school study abroad scholarships and grants.
- ScholarshipOwl – Fill out ScholarshipOwl’s form for an expansive list of scholarship options.
- International Student Exchange (Known as ISE) – ISE offers its own scholarship opportunities for students and provides links to many other popular scholarship options.
Read our list of the best study abroad scholarships and grants (and how to land one), including high school study abroad scholarships.
Travel Abroad Programs for College Students
Whether you want to spend a year or semester abroad, or are looking for a gap year experience, we've got you covered.
Wondering what a gap year is exactly? Check out our blog “What Is a Gap Year?” to learn more.
Study Abroad Programs for College Students
Travel programs for young adults and college students can be life changing. There are so many advantages of studying abroad like seeing personal growth, beefing up your undergraduate or graduate school application, increasing your network, and enhancing your CV.
Many colleges will help students plan their study abroad experience with advisers guiding them along the way and introducing them to pre-established relationships with different schools around the world. However, you can put your own work in too if you want to be ahead of the game or if you don’t have the kind of support you need to find a study abroad program.
Here are some of the most popular study abroad programs for college students, offering both study abroad and gap year opportunities:
- IES Abroad – Study in Morocco and gain valuable experience with a part-time internship (fees start at $18,357). This is just one example of the many programs available in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and Latin America.
- CIEE – Interested in an Arts and Science program in Seoul? That's just one program offered by CIEE. Fees begin at $20,450 and internship opportunities are available.
- U.S. Department of State – The U.S. Department of State also offers study abroad programs for qualifying college students. There are a variety of different scholarship opportunities available through this program.
- Plan My Gap Year – This is another fantastic resource for high school graduates who are looking for volunteer opportunities abroad before starting college or getting into the work force.
Study Abroad Programs USA
Travel enthusiasts living outside of the U.S. may be typing “study abroad programs USA” into a search engine to find U.S.-based opportunities. Look no further for U.S. programs for international students:
- International Students – Check out International Students if you are a student overseas who would like to come to the U.S. to study. Programs are geared toward college-level students who are seeking associate, bachelor’s, master’s, or Ph.D. programs. Financial aid is available.
- Come Study USA – This is another helpful resource for international students who are looking for a college-level program in the U.S. Whether you want to complete your entire educational career here, or you just want to come over for a semester or a year, this is a great place to start. This consultancy can help you find the right program that suits your educational, financial, and social needs.
Summer Abroad Programs for College Students
Travel abroad programs for college students enable young adults to expand their horizons beyond their classroom education. These summer travel programs for college students can provide growth opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be possible at this stage in your life:
- International Summer Courses (ISC) – This company allows students to gain credits at institutions overseas. The program is open to U.S.-based students and international students who want to study in the USA. Fees are dependent upon the courses you select.
- StudyAbroad.com – If you want to study abroad during a summer in college, check out this website. Its programs are geared toward students who are currently studying law and business. Fees will be dependent on course selection and load.
- Global Seminars (University of Colorado) – Global seminars are another great way to experience college life overseas. The University of Colorado is just one institution offering qualifying students this opportunity. Fees will vary based on the length of the seminar and the type of course selected.
These links can help you find scholarship and grant opportunities to help pay for your program:
You can also check out our list of the best study abroad scholarships and grants (and how to land one) for information regarding popular scholarship and grant opportunities.
Travel Abroad Programs for Adults
Travel abroad programs aren't just for students. Below are a few travel abroad programs for adults who want to explore their options when it comes to working or volunteering around the world.
Working Abroad Programs for Young Adults
Below are some popular work abroad programs for 2023:
- InternAbroadHQ – Do you want to spend time abroad and gain valuable work experience at the same time? Check out this site to learn more about its programs and destinations. Depending on the country, fees are around $1,750 for a month. Programs can last up to 12 weeks.
- EF Teach Abroad – Teaching English overseas is one of the most straightforward ways to spend time living and working abroad. This program takes care of everything, including travel and necessary paperwork like visas. Most of the positions available are in China and Southeast Asia.
Volunteer Abroad Programs for Adults
Many of the best volunteer abroad programs for older adults are located in Central and South America. Let’s look at a couple of options:
- International Volunteer HQ – This is an ideal resource for anyone who is seeking an overseas volunteer opportunity. Its fees are reasonable compared to other volunteer programs, and it offers trips to Africa, Asia, Europe, and beyond. This organization has programs perfect for families, solo travelers, and seniors.
- IFRE Volunteers – This is a great organization for adults looking to volunteer abroad. The fees begin at $99 and do not typically include travel or lodging expenses. Program destinations include Africa, Latin America, Mexico, and the Middle East.
Travel Abroad Programs for Adults
Not interested in working or volunteering abroad, but seeking to join a travel group that will take the guesswork out of travel planning?
Be Sure to Explore These Related Resources:
- What Is a Gap Year (and Why Should You Consider Learning Outside of the Classroom)?
- Study Abroad Checklist: Everything You Need to Do to Prepare
- Working Overseas: 14 Websites to Find a Job Abroad
- Top Jobs for Couples Abroad
- How to Make Volunteering Abroad More Affordable
- Group Travel Packages
- Group Travel Tours
- Travel Groups for Solo Travelers
Quotes are free. Start yours now.
Select which option best describes you to start your quote:
WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.
WorldTrips’ Atlas Travel Series and StudentSecure international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.
WorldTrips' Atlas Journey, Atlas Cruiser, and Atlas On-The-Go trip protection insurance products are underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC's U.S. Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC). USSIC is a Texas-domiciled insurance company operating on an admitted basis throughout the United States. Coverage is available to U.S. residents of the U.S. states and District of Columbia only. This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. Coverage may not be available in all states.
In the State of California, operating as WorldTrips Insurance Services. California Non- Resident Producer License Number: 0G39705