If you're planning on coming to the United States as an international student, you’ll need a visa. Fortunately, the U.S. offers student visas for those wanting to study abroad in the U.S.

When you come to the U.S, it’s important to have access to medical care and insurance that provides coverage for medical emergencies. Some student visas, like the J-1 visa, even require students to have international student visa insurance for medical emergencies that could happen while you are in the U.S.

WorldTrips offers StudentSecure® for full-time students and scholars studying outside of their home country. The StudentSecure series offers four different plans–EliteSelectBudget, and Smart–at varying price points and with varying levels of coverage so you can choose the student visa insurance plan that best meets your needs.

Who Needs Student Visa Insurance?

The U.S. Department of State requires some nonimmigrant visa holders to provide proof of health insurance as part of their visa application process.

For example, J-1 visa applicants must provide proof of health insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State requirements in order to get their visa. StudentSecure will provide the necessary coverage to meet these requirements. Following your purchase, you will have access to your visa letter that will serve as proof of your insurance.

On the other hand, some visa applicants are not required to have student health insurance. However, proof of health insurance could still be helpful to have in your application process.

For example, F-1 visa holders are not required to have insurance—but some F-1 visa applicants may be required to provide evidence for how they will pay education, living, and travel costs. A health insurance plan could help prove your ability to pay for unexpected healthcare costs in this scenario. Check your U.S. Embassy or Consulate website for more details on what you need to apply.

And remember, even if your visa doesn’t require health insurance, you may consider purchasing an international student health insurance plan like StudentSecure to help cover emergency medical costs you may have while abroad.

Visit the U.S. Department of State website and your U.S. Embassy or Consulate website before applying for a visa to verify whether your visa requires proof of health insurance.


Benefits of StudentSecure Student Visa Insurance

  • Your regular health insurance may not cover you abroad. StudentSecure covers eligible sicknesses and injuries while traveling from your home country and enrolled as a full-time student or researcher in the U.S.

  • StudentSecure meets the insurance requirements of many schools and most visas, including the J-1 visa for work-and-study programs in the U.S. It also provides a visa letter that you can use as proof of coverage when applying for your visa.

  • StudentSecure connects you with our team of customer service professionals trained to assist in the event of travel mishaps or emergencies.

  • StudentSecure offers four plan levels as well as a monthly payment option or savings for paying your full premium in advance.

StudentSecure International Student Visa Insurance - Benefits & Features


Monthly Payment Option Yes: Coverage can be purchased in monthly increments.
U.S. PPO Network

Yes: Online searchable provider network with physicians across the U.S.

Outpatient Prescription Drug Coverage

Yes: Some coverage for generic and brand name drugs. Coverage amount depends on the StudentSecure plan chosen.

Mental Health Disorders

Yes: Some coverage for treatment of mental health conditions that is not provide at a student health center. Coverage amount depends on the StudentSecure plan chosen.

Maternity & Newborn Care Coverage 

Yes, Under StudentSecure Elite, Select, and Budget: For pregnancy which occurs after the effective date of coverage. See the Description of Coverage for details.

Inpatient Hospitalization Coverage Yes: Coverage for eligible injuries and illnesses.
Vaccination Coverage Yes, Under StudentSecure Elite: Up to $150 for eligible vaccinations and testing. See the Description of Coverage for details. 
Leisure, Recreational, Entertainment, or Fitness Sports & Activities Coverage Yes: Up to the overall maximum limit. 
Intercollegiate, Interscholastic, Intramural, or Club Sports Coverage Yes, Under StudentSecure Elite and Select: Up to $5,000 per injury or illness for medical expenses.
Emergency Medical Evacuation Coverage Yes: Up to the lifetime maximum listed for the selected StudentSecure plan.
Repatriation of Remains Coverage Yes: Up to $50,000 for StudentSecure Elite and Select and up to $25,000 for StudentSecure Budget and Smart.
Terrorism Coverage Yes, Under StudentSecure Elite, Select and Budget: $50,000 maximum lifetime limit for eligible medical expenses.
Accidental Death and Dismemberment Coverage Yes, Under StudentSecure Elite and Select: Up to $25,000 lifetime maximum. 
Incidental Home Country Coverage and Benefit Period Yes: StudentSecure offers incidental home country coverage and a benefit period. See the Description of Coverage for details.

How To Get an International Student Visa

1. Apply to a Certified School – The first step for foreign students looking to study in the U.S. is to apply and get accepted into a SEVP-certified school. The application process can begin only after a school has accepted you.

Upon acceptance, the school will provide you with the necessary Form I-20 (for an F-1 visa) or Form DS-2019 (for a J-1 visa). Hold on to this form because you will need it for your visa interview. 

2. Choose a Student Visa – The next step in applying for your visa is determining which type of student visa you need. There are several types of student visas which include the J-1 and F-1.

If you are traveling to the U.S. to study in an academic or language program, you will need to apply for the F-1 visa. If you are a student who is participating in an approved exchange visitor program sponsored by the U.S. Department of State, then you will need to apply for the J-1 visa.

Need more information? Visit our J-1 student visa page or our F-1 student visa page.

3. Fill Out the Online Application – Visit the U.S. Department of State website and complete the Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Once you've completed the application, print out the confirmation page. 

4. Schedule a Visa Interview – Now you are ready to schedule your visa interview. You can schedule your interview through the U.S. Embassy website.

5. Attend Your Visa Interview – Make sure to bring all the necessary documents for your interview including: 

  • Passport 
  • Nonimmigrant Visa Application Confirmation Page 
  • Application Fee Payment Receipt (if you were required to pay before the interview) 
  • Printed Photo (if your photo upload fails) 
  • Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 (provided by your school or program sponsor) 
  • Form DS-7002 (if you are a J-1 visa applicant for trainee or intern categories) 

Check your U.S. embassy or consulate's website to know whether addition documentation is needed. 

You may be required to provide a visa letter from your insurance provider that proves you will have necessary medical insurance coverage during your time in the U.S. Those who purchase an international student health insurance policy like StudentSecure will have access to their visa letter upon purchase of a plan. 

Following a successful interview, your application will be processed, and your student visa will be awarded.

Student Visa Types for International Students In The U.S.

J-1 Visa

The J-1 Visa is for those entering an educational exchange program. There are a total of 14 different types of acceptable exchange programs:

  • Au pair 
  • Camp counselor 
  • College or university student 
  • Government visitor 
  • Intern 
  • International visitor 
  • Physician 
  • Professor research scholar 
  • Secondary school student 
  • Short-term scholar 
  • Specialist 
  • Summer work travel 
  • Teacher 
  • Trainee

The programs range in appeal from college or high school students to business professionals. If you are looking to study or exchange ideas with someone in your field, then you probably will need the J-1 visa.

After you have decided which program best fits you and your needs, you can begin the application process.

Remember! J-1 visa applicants must meet the insurance requirements and provide a visa letter as proof of medical insurance coverage during the application process.

Learn more about the J-1 visa.

F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is the most common type of visa for international students studying in the U.S. It is for students who plan to attend a:

  • University 
  • College 
  • High school 
  • Private elementary school 
  • Seminary 
  • Conservatory 
  • Language training program 

The F-1 visa is only issued to students who have been accepted to a school, who are going to be enrolled as a full-time student, and who want to complete their entire program in the U.S.

After you have decided where you want to attend school, and what you want to study, you can begin the visa application process.

Remember! F-1 visa holders are not required to have a travel medical insurance policy. However, your school or program may have insurance requirements and your regular health insurance may not cover you outside of your home country.

Learn more about the F-1 visa. 


WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.

WorldTrips' Atlas Travel Series international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.