As Seen In
We're Calling It Now: 2023 Is the Year of Travel
If you’re looking forward to traveling in the New Year, you’ve come to the right place. Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly trip or full-on luxury in the USA or abroad, there are endless destinations available. Let's dive into some exciting trip ideas for 2023.
- A partner when you need it. Contact us anytime and from anywhere. Our multilingual customer support team is on call 24/7 to answer your questions if an emergency arises.
- A plan to fit you. Choose from several different types of travel insurance with varying coverage levels and optional upgrades to create personalized coverage for your trip.
- Proof of coverage. Proof of coverage will be delivered to you immediately upon purchase. Easily access your insurance card and visa letter to prove you have coverage throughout your entire trip.
2023 Travel Destinations
With the onset of winter and each turn of the calendar into a new year, it seems that lots of people get the travel bug! If you're starting to consider your future travel plans, you may be asking yourself, “Where should I vacation in 2023?” The possibilities are endless. Some popular 2023 travel destinations and trip types include adventure treks, luxury trips, family-friendly vacations, budget-friendly getaways, and more.
If you’re deciding where to travel in 2023 and want to stay closer to home, there are many popular U.S. destinations to consider. All in all, the best places to travel in 2023 roster is packed full of exciting options, no matter what type of trip you want!
Where to Travel Internationally in 2023
As the saying goes, the world is your oyster. This is especially true when planning an overseas vacation. The best places to travel internationally in 2023 depend on your travel tastes, budget, desired type of trip, and areas of interest. The good news? International travel in 2023 is only as limited as your imagination!
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – Amsterdam is the world-famous 17th-century capital of Holland. An ideal city for a wide range of ages, there is something for everyone—nature and hiking, museums and galleries, and a lot of fine dining and nightlife to be enjoyed.
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam – With so much to see in this amazing country, it's best to narrow down one region to explore. We recommend basing your stay in Ho Chi Minh City. Be sure to explore the historical Cu Chi Tunnels and visit the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater. Then explore nearby areas such as the Mekong Delta. Vietnam has been at the forefront of COVID mitigation and is cautiously optimistic about tourism in 2023.
- St. Lucia – Traveling to this lush island is a breeze as there are many airports throughout the U.S. that offer direct flights. St. Lucia is known for its hospitality and variety of activities thanks to the varied topography of the island. Explore Pigeon Island, take a catamaran sightseeing cruise complete with snorkeling, or visit Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens. If you're looking for luxury, this island offers many choices!
As we all continue to hope for the day when pandemic restrictions and requirements are behind us, it is always prudent to plan for the eventuality that COVID may still be with us in 2023. We highly recommend bookmarking this incredibly helpful interactive travel restrictions map that can help you plan for specific entry requirements, travel restrictions, and safety guidelines for your destination country that may affect your travel.
Best Places to Travel in 2023 USA
The United States is a huge place, and when travelers ask what the top U.S. vacation destinations are in 2023, it really depends on what they’re looking to get out of the trip. Are you seeking a family-oriented vacation? An adventurous voyage? A romantic getaway?
Of course, we all want to know the safest places to travel right now in the USA too.
Below are a few suggestions for those looking for the best places to travel right now in the USA and the near future.
- Key Largo, Florida – If you want to enjoy a family beach vacation without breaking the bank, check out this laidback island. Explore 70 nautical square miles of varied ecosystems at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park, snorkel with monuments and statues, or take a peaceful stroll through the Florida Keys Wild Bird Rehabilitation Center.
- Yellowstone National Park – Topping many adventurous families' travel wish lists is Yellowstone National Park. This 3,500-square-mile wilderness recreation area expands from Wyoming into Montana and Idaho. It is one of the best places to travel in 2023 in the USA for groups, families, and folks looking for a budget-friendly vacation packed with adventure. Watch geysers like Old Faithful erupt, see the gushing water of the Lower Falls up close, or take a paddling trip on a nearby river.
- Kauai, Hawaii – Topping U.S. News’ “Best Romantic Getaways in the USA” list, this Hawaiian island is one of the best places to visit in the USA for couples seeking romance. Relax in a private luxury villa, hike the Napali Coast, or take in stunning views via a private helicopter ride.
The U.S. is so vast that there's something for everyone. If you’re planning a trip for 2023, be sure to check the COVID requirements for the state that you are visiting. And remember that some cities, towns, and counties may have more stringent requirements in place than the state itself. It's always best to check vaccination, quarantine, and mask requirements before you go!
Best Places to Visit in USA by Month
Another way to narrow your choices is to take a look at the best places to visit in the USA by month. Some of the most common months for travel in the USA are March, July, and October. Let's take a closer look.
Best Places to Travel in March 2023 USA
March is spring break season, which may mean looking for the hottest spots or those less frequented.
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida – Even if you aren't looking for a raucous spring break experience, Ft. Lauderdale still has a lot to offer. With the airport nearby, flights are plentiful and affordable. The city offers numerous parks and beaches, museums and gardens, and boat tours. Often referred to as the "Venice of the United States," a ride on the water taxi is a great way to enjoy the sights.
- Park City, Utah – One of the country's top ski destinations, Park City is unique in its accessibility. Only about a 45-minute drive from the Salt Lake City airport, this is a spring break spot that teens and adults will love! Don't miss Park City Mountain’s Spring Concert Series from March 2nd to the season’s end. And be sure to take a historical tour of this former mining area.
Best Places to Travel in July 2023 USA
Some of the best places to travel in July in the USA are in the regions of the country that are still temperate, including:
- Upper Peninsula, Michigan – If you’re planning a family reunion or just want to get away for a romantic weekend, the UP delivers! Summer recreation ranges from boating and fishing to hiking and kayaking. Popular attractions include underground mining tours, the Astor House Antique Doll & Indian Museum, and the Bark River International Raceway.
- Big Sky, Montana – Treat your family, partner, or friend group to an unforgettable trip when you book a vacation to a real live dude ranch in this breathtaking part of the country. You can fly fish at the Gallatin River, hike to the breathtaking Ousel Falls, or sample summer activities like downhill mountain biking and disc golf.
Places to Visit in October in the USA
Deciding when to travel in fall 2023 can be a difficult decision! Most of the country is enjoying excellent weather, so the choices are just about limitless.
- Sedona, Arizona– If you aren't a fan of the heat, you may want to visit Sedona in the fall. There are luxury spas, outdoor adventures, and plenty of activities to keep even the most restless teens occupied! Take an iconic Pink Jeep Tour, hike the Devil’s Bridge Trail, and visit the Tlaquepaque Arts and Crafts Village.
- New Hampshire – Who doesn't love a little leaf-peeping? If you want to visit New England at the height of the leaf-changing season, be sure to book this quaint inn early! Fill your days with hiking, kayaking, biking, and ziplining.
Best Places to Travel in Summer 2023
Summer, of course, is an extremely popular time of year for travel—both domestic and international. If you're starting to plan for your summer vacation, take a look at these destinations:
Where to Travel in June
Figuring out where to travel in June 2023 can be as easy as picturing your dream vacation! This is a great time to travel, as it is often a bit less hectic than July and August, especially in Europe.
- Greece – Some of the lesser-known Greek Islands are surprisingly tranquil vacation destinations, such as Naxos, Aegina, and Milos. And what better way to explore them than on a luxury private sailing tour? Other fun activities include windsurfing, touring ancient caves, and hiking to gorgeous waterfalls.
- Charleston, South Carolina – Still a bit on the cool side—especially if you visit early in the month—this coastal town is a perfect place to visit. Charming and rich with history, Charleston is considered a Mecca for sailors and golfers. There's enough to keep the whole family busy and happy.
Where to Travel in July
Some of the best places to travel in July 2023 are a bit off the beaten track. This is especially true if you are considering the best places to travel in July on a budget. And, because there's always a lot of walking around and sightseeing involved in most summer vacations, you may want to consider places to visit in July that are not hot.
- Oslo, Norway – This capital city is one of the best places to visit in July in Europe. While the Midnight Sun may have peaked with the solstice in late June, there is still plenty of daylight! Check out the many museums and galleries, or plan to get out of town and out into the woods! We highly recommend a visit to the Viking Ship Museum.
- Finger Lakes Region, New York – A perfect spot to escape the heat of summer, many families return to this destination year after year. It sits away from the big city, so it’s ideal for summer travelers on a budget. Book your cabin today so you can start exploring the expansive state parks, hiking scenic trails to waterfalls, and visiting one of the many wineries.
Best Places to Travel in 2023 During Coronavirus
Out-of-the-way places seem to be popular in the era of COVID as more people prioritize avoiding crowds and planning outdoor activities during their vacations. This is where an interactive travel restrictions map comes in handy. Double-check entry restrictions, including vaccine requirements, testing requirements, quarantine requirements, mask requirements, and more before you take off.
If you are looking for countries open for tourism without quarantine, you will need to continuously check the travel status. As we all know, the impacts of COVID are incredibly fluid and ever-changing. The countries accepting American tourists can change from day to day, as can the best places to travel during COVID.
That being said, there are still some great options for where to travel in 2023, even with COVID considerations:
- Saratoga Springs, New York – Home to the Saratoga Race Course for horse racing, this beautiful town is like taking a step back in time! Even if you aren't a horse enthusiast, you're sure to fall in love with the arts and culture of Saratoga. And the slower pace allows visitors to rejuvenate and recharge before returning home.
- Reykjavik, Iceland – Iceland is one country that has handled the pandemic well. If you want to experience an adventure vacation in an environment that is like nothing else on earth, this is the destination for you! After all, there’s a reason this awe-inspiring nation has been featured on nearly every “most beautiful places” list, from Condé Nast Traveler’s "The 50 Most Beautiful Places in the World" to Bored Panda’s "40 Breathtaking Places to See Before You Die."
- Lake Louise & Banff, Canada – Fishing, boating, and hiking are just some of the outdoor delights in this incredibly scenic area. There is also luxury lodging and fine dining for those who prefer creature comforts.
It can be difficult to determine the best places to travel during COVID, especially when you really only want to consider the safest places to travel during COVID. As we mentioned earlier in the article, some of the best places to travel right now in U.S. during COVID are those that are a bit off the beaten path.
When you are looking at countries open for tourism in 2023, you will need to do your research. One very helpful resource is this interactive travel restrictions map that allows you to review the travel status of various countries and regions in real-time.
Wherever you decide to go, travel safely! With proper planning and the right precautions, you will still be able to enjoy a vibrant life of travel in 2023.
Be Sure to Explore These Related Resources:
- The Best Travel Destinations for Any Kind of Traveler
- Best Places to Travel with Friends
- Best Places to Travel in Winter
- Top 50 Travel Websites to Prepare for Your Dream Trip
- 6 Tips for Having the Best Road Trip Ever
- The Ultimate European Travel Guide
- 11-Step Planning Guide to Traveling Internationally
- Should I Get Travel Health Insurance for My Trip Abroad?
Quotes are free. Start yours now.
Select which option best describes you to start your quote:
WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies.
WorldTrips’ Atlas Travel Series and StudentSecure international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.
WorldTrips' Atlas Journey, Atlas Cruiser, and Atlas On-The-Go trip protection insurance products are underwritten by Tokio Marine HCC's U.S. Specialty Insurance Company (USSIC). USSIC is a Texas-domiciled insurance company operating on an admitted basis throughout the United States. Coverage is available to U.S. residents of the U.S. states and District of Columbia only. This plan provides insurance coverage that only applies during the covered trip. You may have coverage from other sources that provides you with similar benefits but may be subject to different restrictions depending upon your other coverages. You may wish to compare the terms of this policy with your existing life, health, home, and automobile insurance policies. Coverage may not be available in all states.
In the State of California, operating as WorldTrips Insurance Services. California Non- Resident Producer License Number: 0G39705