Certain types of medical expenses are excluded from this coverage. Some exclusions are listed here. Please refer to the Atlas Travel Description of Coverage for the complete list of exclusions.
- Charges resulting directly or indirectly from any *pre-existing condition, except as covered under the **Acute Onset of Pre-Existing Condition benefit
- Routine medical examinations
- Routine prenatal care, pregnancy, childbirth, and postnatal care
- Mental health disorders
- Medical expenses for injury or illness resulting from participation in specifically-excluded extreme sports (see Description of Coverage for full list of excluded sports).
*Pre-existing condition means any injury, illness, sickness, disease, or other physical, medical, mental, or nervous disorder, condition, or ailment that, with reasonable medical certainty, existed at the time of application or at any time during the 2 years prior to the effective date of this insurance, whether or not previously manifested, symptomatic or known, diagnosed, treated, or disclosed to us prior to the effective date, and including any and all subsequent, chronic or recurring complications or consequences related thereto or resulting or arising therefrom.
**Acute onset of a pre-existing condition is a sudden and unexpected outbreak or recurrence that is of short duration, is rapidly progressive, and requires urgent care. A pre-existing condition that is chronic or congenital, or that gradually becomes worse over time, is not acute onset of a pre-existing condition.
The Acute Onset of Pre-existing Condition benefit will only apply if all of the following conditions are met:
- The Acute Onset of a Pre-Existing Condition does not directly or indirectly relate to a chronic condition or congenital condition;
- Treatment must be obtained within twenty-four (24) hours of the sudden and unexpected outbreak or reoccurrence;
- You must be under eighty (80) years of age;
- You must not be traveling against or in disregard of the recommendations, established treatment programs, or medical advice of a physician or other healthcare provider;
- You must not be traveling with the intent or purpose to seek or obtain treatment for the pre-existing condition;
- You must be traveling outside your home country