Whether you’re an avid global traveler or you’re embarking on your first international trip, it’s important that you consider your health and safety as you journey from India to the USA.
- Would I know how to seek treatment if I suffered an injury or illness in the USA?
- Who would I turn to if I needed assistance?
- What if I have unexpected medical expenses?
If you’re unsure of the answers to these questions, then read on to discover how Atlas America® travel health insurance can provide visitors from India with important medical benefits, travel assistance, and coverage for a number of emergency situations.
Why Do I Need Travel Health Insurance for My Trip from India to the USA?
Because many domestic health plans offer limited or no international coverage, there’s a chance that your India-based health plan does not cover travel to and within the United States. And in the USA, residents
You’ve likely heard that healthcare in the USA can be expensive, but did you know that a 3-day hospital stay can cost around $30,000? That’s why the U.S. Department of State recommends that you “ask your medical insurance company if your policy applies
What Does Atlas America Insurance Cover?
Atlas America travel health insurance provides benefits for eligible medical expenses incurred in the USA, as well as some emergency travel and accidental death benefits. It also provides some supplemental travel benefits, such as Trip Interruption, Travel Delay, Lost Checked Luggage, and Lost or Stolen Passport/Travel Visa.
Key features of Atlas America insurance include:
- Up to $2,000,000 in maximum coverage per covered injury or illness and per certificate period
- Your choice of deductible ranging from $0 to $5,000 per certificate period
- Access to an online directory of over 5,000 hospitals and more than 90,000 healthcare facilities throughout the USA
- Travel assistance services available in multiple languages 365 days a year
How Do Atlas America Benefits Work in Action?
Check out the following scenarios to learn how Atlas America travel health insurance can cover you beyond the borders of India:
Scenario 1: An unexpected illness results in your inpatient hospitalization.
With an Atlas America insurance policy, you will be 100% covered for eligible medical expenses (after the deductible and up to the overall maximum limit).
Covered expenses may include costs resulting from a local ambulance ride, hospital room and board, outpatient surgery, the intensive care unit, emergency medical evacuation, and more.
Scenario 2: A serious injury results in a covered emergency medical evacuation from one health facility to another.
If you are eligible for Atlas America’s Emergency Reunion benefit, you will be covered for a roundtrip, economy air or ground transportation ticket for one relative of your choosing to travel from India to your bedside in the USA. This benefit can also cover reasonable meals and accommodations for the relative for up to 15 days.
Scenario 3: You’re exploring the USA when you receive the unfortunate news that a member of your immediate family has passed away.
If you are eligible for Atlas America’s Trip Interruption benefit, you will be covered for the cost of an economy,
Scenario 4: The airline loses your checked luggage.
In situations like this, where your luggage has been lost for 10-plus days and you’ve filed a formal claim with your airline, Atlas America’s Lost Checked Luggage benefit can provide up to $1,000 in reimbursement for the replacement of clothes and personal hygiene items (not to exceed $50 on any one item).
What Is Not Covered by Atlas America Insurance?
Certain types of medical expenses are excluded from Atlas America coverage.
- Pre-existing conditions*
- Routine medical examinations and care (i.e. wellness exams, ongoing prescriptions, etc.)
- Routine pre-natal, pregnancy,
child birth, and post-natal care
- Medical expenses for injury or illness resulting from participation in some extreme sports
- Medical expenses related to any form of cancer or neoplasm
- Mental health disorders
For a full list of benefits and exclusions, see the Atlas Description of Coverage.
*NOTE: A pre-existing condition is any condition:
- for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received within 2 years prior to your effective date of coverage
- which would cause a reasonably prudent person to seek medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment within 2 years prior to your effective date of coverage
- that existed (with reasonable medical certainty) with 2 years prior to your effective date of coverage, whether or not it was known to you
How Does Atlas America Insurance Work for USA Visitors from India?
- Eligibility – Indian citizens and residents are eligible for Atlas America coverage if they are 14 days or older and all or part of their international travel includes the USA.
- Duration – Policies must cover a minimum of 5 days and are available up to 364 days.
- Purchase – You can purchase a policy online or over the phone (or you can have a family member or trusted friend complete the application on your behalf). The ideal time to purchase a policy is before you leave India, though you can still obtain coverage for the remainder of your trip once you’ve arrived in the USA. But remember – Atlas America insurance will only cover eligible medical expenses incurred after your policy becomes effective.
- Fulfillment Documents – Your fulfillment documents will be sent to your email address immediately after purchase. These documents will include instructions on how to file a claim and how to contact the customer service department with additional questions. You will also receive a medical ID card which will contain your name, your ID number, and your effective date of coverage.
- U.S. Provider Search Engine – You can use our online directory of over 5,000 hospitals and more than 90,000 healthcare facilities to locate a nearby medical provider – no matter where you are in the United States. Or call our World Service Center at (800) 605-2282 for a provider referral.
- Usage – When you arrive at your chosen medical facility, you will show your medical ID to the medical provider. In the United States, it is common practice for the medical facility to send a bill directly to your insurance company – a practice known as "direct billing." In this case, you will be responsible for your copay (if applicable) at the time of service. Your medical provider typically will then bill you for any applicable deductible for covered expenses, or any non-covered expenses.
- 100% Coinsurance – WorldTrips will pay 100% of eligible expenses after the deductible and up to your overall maximum limit.
- Cancellation – If you need to cancel your policy, you can submit a written cancellation request to WorldTrips prior to your effective date of coverage for a full refund. If we receive the cancellation request after the effective date of coverage, only the unused portion of your premium will be refunded and a $25 cancellation fee will apply. No refund will be issued for policies that have submitted claims.
- Further Assistance – As an Atlas America policyholder, you will have access to our line of *travel assistance services, available in multiple languages 365 days a year. These services include:
– Lost passport and travel documents assistance– Assistance with emergency cash transfers– Embassy and consulate referrals– Legal and accounting referrals– Provider referrals
*Travel assistance services are not insurance benefits and any travel or medical assistance service provided is not a guarantee of any insurance benefit. See the travel assistance services list for more details.
We can assist you in purchasing a policy or answer any questions you may have. Just give us a call at (800) 605-2282!
WorldTrips international travel medical insurance products are underwritten by Lloyd's. WorldTrips is a service company and a member of the Tokio Marine HCC group of companies. WorldTrips has authority to enter into contracts of insurance on behalf of the Lloyd's underwriting members of Lloyd's Syndicate 4141, which is managed by HCC Underwriting Agency, Ltd.